Monday, February 15, 2010

A - Amaretto Cake

So, my 2 week adventure with working with recipes that involve the letter A ended yesterday. I actually made this Amaretto Cake on Saturday for a Chinese new year dinner I had with family. I decided not to post it yesterday because there was just too much talk about poop.

I figured with all the Amaretto liquor I have, and the fact that I've never made a Bundt shaped cake, this was the way to go for my family dinner. Plus, its better than making an apple pie, because although I like pie and I do eat apple pie, I just don't like fruit. I wouldn't know how to pick good fruit anyway or how to handle it.

Anyway, back to this Amaretto cake. Who doesn't like liquor in their food?? I especially like recipes like this, because it takes shortcuts like using cake mix, which really saves me from sifting flour, sugar, baking powder, and all that hassle.

The Ingredients
For the cake:
* 1 package store bought yellow cake mix
* 4 eggs
* 1 (5.1 ounce) instant vanilla pudding mix
* 2 Tbsp amaretto liqueur
* 1/2 cup water
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 1/2 tsp almond extract

For the glaze:
* 1/2 cup amaretto liqueur
* 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar

When I began this recipe, I took out my liquid measuring cup and I was so disgusted! I saw all these white streaks and caked on liquid inside. I tried to scrub the grossness out, but it wouldn't come off! I have no idea what it is, but I decided not to use the cup and just used the measuring cups meant for dry ingredients. Now I need to buy a new measuring cup!



Anyway, after grossing you all out with my measuring cup (seems like I've been doing that a lot lately sorry!) I started off by taking the bundt pan my sister gave me for my birthday last year. I've never used it before, but it has all these grooves that make it look like it would produce an interesting shape. I sprayed the inside with some oil and sprinkled flour around so the cake wouldn't stick to the pan later.



Next, I poured in the box cake mix into a bowl. I used Betty Crocker, but any brand works. I think even a white cake or chocolate cake mix will work. Love cheating with these cake mixes! :D



Next went the eggs, the pudding mix, water, oil, 2 Tbsp of Amaretto liquor and the almond extract. The recipe originally called for 1/4 tsp but I added an extra 1/4 tsp to make it more almond-y.



Mix all the ingredients together. I scraped down the sides once in the middle of mixing.



Once everything is mixed well, the batter is smooth and even in color.



I poured the batter into the bundt pan, and as you can see, not very well. Kinda messy on the sides, but its ok. When the cake rises, it should pick up the batter on the edges.



After baking at 350 degrees F for 45 min, I tested with a toothpick to verify done-ness. Plus it looked golden brown and smelled soooo yummy!



I let the cake cook for about 5 min, and I took the same toothpick and poked a ton of holes at the top of the cake. Can you see them? I tried to get a closer up look, and I let the cake cool for another hour.



While the cake was cooling, I mixed the glaze together. I started off with powdered sugar. To be honest, the hole for my jar of powdered sugar can't fit a 1 cup measuring cup, so I kind of eyeballed it.



Then I poured the 1/2 cup of Amaretto liquor. Notice I'm using the cup for dry ingredients. So ghetto.



I used a fork and just whipped and mixed the sugar with the amaretto. The color came out kind of like cafe con leche and should be a slightly watery consistency.



When the cake was cooled, I poured the glaze over the cake and aimed for the holes I made. The glaze seeps into the cake and makes it moist with Amaretto goodness.



I let the cake sit for about another hour, before putting a plate over the bundt (why does this word make me smile everytime?) pan and flipping it over. Hooray!! Success! The cake came out of the pan easily and you can see the parts of the cake that are a little darker due to the glaze seeping through.



I sprinkle the cake with some sifted powdered sugar and topped with some sliced almonds. I was really happy with how it all came out.



My family ate my cake at the dinner and they all really liked it. My aunt said it could use more liquor! (definitely from my family) haha so maybe next time I'll increase the glaze and use a little less powdered sugar.

I'm pretty glad that I was able to fit in at least 4 recipes these past 2 weeks. I actually tried an Aioli recipe for some pommes frites that I made for the Superbowl, but I never got around to posting about it. Maybe I'll post it for P haha. I'm looking forward to these next 2 weeks. I actually will be in London and Barcelona for a week, but hopefully I can fit in some B recipes :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

What Grinds Momo Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template