Wednesday, October 7, 2009

U Street

I felt I had to give Ben's Chili Bowl/ Ben's Next Door their own post, so I will be continuing the night in U Street in DC now...

We found this little bar on U Street, so of course we had to go in!



Momo's is like a sports bar with 3 stories I think? We only made it to the 2nd story, and it was pretty small, but I don't know what the other stories are like. They had these cool tshirts that said something like Get sloshed at Momo's or something. We had like a couple shots of SoCo and Lime here and just moved on... it was kind of dead; I guess it wasn't a game day.

Then, we went to Saint-Ex, this bar on a corner... and apparently it has a plane theme... I think Saint-Ex was a plane or something? It was pretty cool, they had a bar in the middle when you walk in, and there's a basement bar and dance floor too. Lani and I were fascinated by this on bottle on the wall...



Its kind of hard to tell, but it says Ed Phillips & Sons Prairie Organic - from the Heartlands of Minnesota. I don't know about you, but this was fascinating to us!

1. It's an organic vodka
2. There's lemongrass in the middle and hot peppers on the bottom
3. From the Heartlands of Minnesota?!

We found out later from the bartender that they infused the vodka themselves by putting the lemongrass and jalapeno peppers in. He gave us a taste, and we liked it! He kept saying how spicy it was and how he didn't know what to do with it because it was too spicy. Lani and I both thought it was good! There was a nice heat at the end. The bartender made us a cocktail with it, by adding agave and lime, so it was sweet going down, but there was a lingering heat at the end. We helped them deliberate names for the drink... such as Sweet Heat, Sweet as Hell, etc. Can't wait to go back and see what they ended up naming it :) Also, I now want to try to infuse my Kirkland Vodka!



One of the best things about DC is that there's always some greasy food open late, for after-drinking-binge-eating. We hit up Yum's Chinese Fast food that also makes like Fried Chicken and burgers, subs, etc. Weird? Yes. Yum? Yes.





I would normally avoid these ghetto looking chinese food places, but everyone talks about the mambo sauce and how bomb it is. So, of course, I had to check it out for myself. Lani and I got an order of chow mein and fried chicken (because mambo sauce only comes with the fried stuff I believe).



The chow mein noodles were ok... basic ghetto chinese chow mein, but I couldn't stop eating them!! The noodles were overcooked and not that seasoned, but it was greasy goodness. What made it even better is I added some of the mambo sauce over it...then it was a whole new world!



The fried chicken is like fried chicken you would get like in the south. Its crispy and super oily. See the greasy paper? It was good, but better with mambo sauce! So what is mambo sauce? It tastes kind of like watered down sweet and sour sauce... which I honestly was not impressed with, but there's just something about it. I just couldnt stop putting it over everything, and I don't know why!! I didn't even like it that much, but somehow things were better with it... there has to be crack in it or something.

Yum's has a few chain restaurants around DC, so you can't miss it. Its like an institution. Everyone knows about the mambo sauce! I don't know if I would like it as much if I ate BEFORE drinking, but it is damn satisfying AFTER!

3 comments:

Jas on October 10, 2009 at 10:38 AM said...

HOW could you not purchase a "get sloshed at Momo's tshirt???!?!?!?!?"

Unknown on October 13, 2009 at 2:52 AM said...

I'm with Jasmine....wth. You should have bought that shirt even if its just to wear under your normal clothes! *sad*

Monica on October 17, 2009 at 10:57 AM said...

i tried! they were out :( they told me to check back with them every month to see if a shipment of tshirts came in -_-

Post a Comment

 

What Grinds Momo Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template